What is the #1 most important reason YOU exercise?

I have been known to come up with some pretty crazy reasons to exercise.  Just check out my Twitter stream. I have a list of 1000 reasons to exercise and I tweet one almost every day.  They aren’t the reasons you might be thinking!  I guess we are all motivated by different things.  In this post, I want to hear from YOU.  Here is the question:

What is the #1 most important reason you exercise?

What I mean is: what motivates you?  What do you get out of exercise? What is the thing that keeps you going day after day?  After all, exercise requires time and effort, so something must be fueling you to stick with it. What?  Be specific.  So, for example, if you feel your reason is “good health” what do you mean specifically?  Are you trying to avoid a certain disease that runs in your family? Lose weight? Avoid weight gain?

I figure if we each share our most powerful reasons to exercise, we will learn even more reasons to exercise for ourselves. We’ll start a collection of reasons to exercise.  This can only help to strengthen our motivation, drive, and purpose. The more reasons the better.  Every reason is a guidepost that reminds us of the direction we need to go.

Here’s what to do:  in the comments section below, tell me the #1 most important reason you exercise.

I’ll take all the reasons you post and convert them into a word cloud.  I can’t wait to see it. I might have to hang this one on the fridge.

In the meantime….

Reason to Exercise #1000:  Because you CAN.

Whatever you do, keep moving…

NOTE: To enter a comment, see this (below) directly below the post:

by Sherry | tags |   2     <—-this number

Click on the number to read the comments and enter yours.

18 Comments

1. I exercise because it helps me to maintain my sanity. As they say, “running is cheaper than therapy”

2. Sherry says:

To answer my own question…for me, it’s a tie between stress reduction and weight management. Exercise gives me the gift of both.

3. Mbfgmike says:

This is a hard question. Exercise improves all aspects of my life (weight management, stress reduction, mood, productivity at work) it seems like when I don’t I get into a funk and don’t feell like myself So I guess my #1 reason would be that it brings BALLANCE to my life

4. stevie b says:

I exercise to increase the chances I will be around to watch my two daughters grow, to see them fail and prosper,to be there with them every step of the way, to lead by example and show them with goals and commitments you can do anything.

5. Jamie says:

I exercise mainly for stress reduction and mood enhancement. It usually helps with the stress but doesnt always put me in a good mood.

6. John says:

Because I start to feel my age when I don’t, beside that they would fire me if I didn’t show up for class.

7. Stephenie says:

Mostly to feel like myself….and to avoid what it feels like not to exercise. Plus, I am a little bit vain.

8. emily says:

Reason to excercise #1001: to look good for my boyfriend!

9. LauraSueP says:

I exercise b/c I love the power I get from knowing how strong I am!!

10. The biggest reason I exercise regularly is because I can’t afford liposuction

11. Nicki says:

Health – I exercise to try and outrun what heredity is trying to give to me. So far, so good.

12. Jeannie says:

Decrease stress, boost my mood, and the exhilarated feeling of challenging myself to push my physical barriers.

13. RunningJoeInJax says:

At first I was going to claim this is an unfair question, Doc. There are so many reasons I get up at 4:30 each morning to run. There are so many reasons I hit the gym, bike or pool in the afternoon. As I started thinking about the different reasons, it all came down to one word – Love. My love for a special someone. My love for my daughters. My love of running. My love of the feeling I get when I’m done. It’s a generic word, but it sums everything up pretty well.

14. Jenny says:

I want to be healthy and fit for the first time in my life. It means overcoming a lot of the ingrained things from my childhood around ‘bad’ food and ‘bad’ habits that might not actually be bad in moderation.

There’s also a lot of weight-related diseases that run in my family that are of concern.

But…you know…when I am being honest….I really just want to be pretty. ;)

15. Sherry says:

Responses left via Twitter and FB include: healthy mind, heart health, ME, feel good, feel strong, live long, and being around to see kids grow up! Great responses everyone!

16. whohastheruns says:

I run to escape.

To escape what? You ask.

To escape, everything!

17. Sherry says:

Another Twitter response: To feel good.